Acceptable Use Policy
This file was last modified on Thursday, 26th April 2018.
This Acceptable Use Policy ("AUP") governs your use of the Services and is incorporated by reference into SMEspree's Terms of Service. Unless otherwise stated, defined terms in this AUP have the meanings provided in the Terms of Service. SMEspree may modify this AUP at any time without notice.
The Services provided by SMEspree may only be used for lawful purposes. You agree to comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations in connection with your use of the Services. SMEspree reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, even reasons unrelated to legal subjects. Any material that in our judgment violates this AUP in any manner may be removed from our servers (or otherwise disabled), with or without notice.
Failure to respond to an email from our abuse department within the specified time period in our email to you may result in the suspension or termination of the Services.
Infringement of Intellectual Property Rights
- Use of the Services to infringe upon another party's intellectual property rights is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, the unauthorized copying or distribution of movies, music, books, photographs, software/warez, or any other copyrighted work. Selling or offering to sell any counterfeit merchandise may result in the immediate termination of your account. Any account found to be infringing on the intellectual property rights of others may be expeditiously removed or access to the material will be disabled. Any account found to be in repeated violation of this prohibition may be suspended or terminated.
- If you believe that your intellectual property rights are being infringed upon, please email [email protected]. For copyright infringement claims, SMEspree follows local New Zealand and general international copyright law and procedures.
Using an Account as a Backup/Storage Device
You may not use a SMEspree account as a backup/storage device with the exception of one cPanel backup of the same account. Please do not take backups of your backups.
Unacceptable material on our servers include without limitation:
- IRC Scripts/Bots
- IRCD (irc servers)
- Proxy Scripts/Anonymizers
- Image Hosting Scripts (similar to Photobucket or Tinypic)
- AutoSurf/PTC/PTS/PPC sites
- IP Scanners
- Bruteforce Programs/Scripts/Applications
- Mail Bombers/Spam Scripts
- Banner-Ad services (commercial banner ad rotation)
- File Dump/Mirror Scripts (similar to rapidshare)
- Commercial Audio Streaming (more than one or two streams)
- Escrow/Bank Debentures
- High-Yield Interest Programs (HYIP) or Related Sites
- Investment Sites (FOREX, E-Gold Exchange, Second Life/Linden Exchange, Ponzi, MLM/Pyramid Scheme)
- Sale or distribution of any controlled substance without prior proof of appropriate permit(s)
- Prime Banks Programs
- Lottery/Gambling Sites
- Hacker focused sites/archives/programs
- Sites promoting illegal activities
- Forums and/or websites that distribute or link to warez/pirated/illegal content
- Bank Debentures/Bank Debenture Trading Programs
- Fraudulent Sites (Including, but not limited to sites listed at aa419.org & escrow-fraud.com)
- Mailer Pro
- Push button mail scripts
- Broadcast or Streaming of Live Sporting Events (UFC, NASCAR, FIFA, NFL, MLB, NBA, WWE, WWF, etc)
- Tell A Friend Scripts
- Anonymous or Bulk SMS Gateways
- Bitcoin Miners
- PayDay Loan Sites (including any site related to PayDay loans, PayDay loan affiliate progams, etc)
Child Pornography is Prohibited
Content that is potentially harmful to minors, as determined in SMEspree's sole discretion, is strictly forbidden, including but not limited to, child pornography or content perceived to be child pornography. Any website found to host child pornography or linking to child pornography will be suspended immediately without notice.
Pornography is Prohibited
Content that is pornographic in nature, or that can be reasonably argued to be pornographic in nature, is strictly forbidden. Any website found to host or link to pornography will be suspended immediately without notice.
Other Prohibited Content
We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Any material that, in our judgment, is obscene, threatening, illegal, or violates our Terms of Service or this AUP in any manner may be removed from our servers (or otherwise disabled), with or without notice.
Unacceptable Resource Usage
You may not:
- Use twenty-five percent (25%) or more of our system resources for longer than ninety (90) seconds at a time. Activities that could cause this excessive use, include but are not limited to: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.
- Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons, such as IRCD.
- Run any type of web spider or indexer (including Google Cash / AdSpy).
- Run any software that interfaces with an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) network.
- Run any bit torrent application, tracker, or client. You may link to legal torrents off-site, but may not host or store them on our servers.
- Participate in any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities
- Run any gaming servers such as counter-strike, half-life, battlefield1942, etc.
- Run any MySQL queries longer than fifteen (15) seconds. MySQL tables should be indexed appropriately.
- Include the URL when using PHP include functions for including a local file. Instead of including 'http://yourdomain.com/include.php', use 'include.php' or '/home/username/public_html/include.php'.
- Force html to handle server-side code (like php and shtml) to help reduce usage.
- Use https protocol unless it is necessary; encrypting and decrypting communications is noticeably more CPU-intensive than unencrypted communications.
Zero Tolerance Spam Policy
- We take a zero tolerance stance against the sending of unsolicited e-mail, bulk emailing, and spam. "Safe lists," purchased lists, and selling of lists will be treated as spam. We may terminate the account of any User who sends out spam with or without notice. Please read our email policy for our generalized mail policy.
- Websites advertised via spam (Spamvertised) may not be operated on our service. This provision includes, but is not limited to, spam sent via fax, phone, postal mail, email, instant messaging, or usenet/newsgroups. No organization or entity listed in the ROKSO may be hosted on our servers. Any User account which results in our IP space being blacklisted will be immediately suspended and/or terminated.
- SMEspree reserves the right to require changes or disable as necessary, any website, account, database, or other component that does not comply with our policies, or to make any such modifications in an emergency that we deem necessary at our sole discretion.
- SMEspree reserves the right to charge the holder of the account used to send any unsolicited e-mail a cleanup fee or any charges incurred for blacklist removal at our sole discretion.
Websites hosted on SMEspree's servers in the U.S. are regulated by U.S. law. Accordingly, pursuant to Section 230(c) of the Communications Decency Act, and in relation to New Zealand law, SMEspree's policy is not to remove allegedly defamatory material from websites hosted on our servers unless the material has been found to be defamatory by a court, as evidenced by a court order. As a webhost, SMEspree is not a publisher of User content and we are not in a position to investigate the veracity of individual defamation claims. We rely on the legal system and the courts to determine whether or not material is indeed defamatory. In any case in which a court order indicates that material is defamatory, libelous, or slanderous in nature, we will disable access to the material. Similarly, in any case in which a U.S. court has placed an injunction against specified content or material being made available, we will comply and remove or disable access to the material in question.
Your Services may be terminated with or without notice upon any violation of this AUP. If applicable, violations will be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
A failure to respond to an email from our abuse department within forty-eight (48) hours, or as otherwise specified in the email you receive, may result in the suspension or termination of your Services. All abuse issues must be dealt with via support ticket/email and will receive a response within forty-eight (48) hours.
If you feel you have discovered a violation of our AUP please report it to: [email protected]
General Acceptable Use Policy
- General Information. As a provider of Internet/World Wide Web access, web site hosting, and other Internet-related services, SMESPREE (“the Company”) offers its customers, the means to acquire and disseminate a wealth of public, private, commercial, and non-commercial information. the Company respects that the Internet provides a forum for free and open discussion and dissemination of information, however, when there are competing interests at issue, the Company reserves the right to take certain preventative or corrective actions. In order to protect these competing interests, the Company has developed this Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”), which supplements and explains certain terms of each customer's respective service agreement and is intended as a guide to the customer's rights and obligations when utilizing the Company’s services. This AUP will be revised from time to time. A customer's use of the Company's services after changes to the AUP are posted on the Company's website, http://smespree.com under the Legal Details section, will constitute the customer's acceptance of any new or additional terms of the AUP that result from those changes. One important aspect of the Internet is that no one party owns or controls it. This fact accounts for much of the Internet's openness and value, but it also places a high premium on the judgment and responsibility of those who use the Internet, both in the information they acquire and in the information they disseminate to others. When subscribers obtain information through the Internet, they must keep in mind that the Company cannot monitor, verify, warrant, or vouch for the accuracy and quality of the information that users may acquire. For this reason, the user must exercise his or her best judgment in relying on information obtained from the Internet, and also should be aware that some material posted to the Internet is sexually explicit or otherwise offensive. Because the Company cannot monitor or censor the Internet, and will not attempt to do so, the Company cannot accept any responsibility for injury to its users, customers or subscribers that results from inaccurate, unsuitable, offensive, or illegal Internet communications. When users, customers or disseminate information through the Internet, they also must keep in mind that the Company does not review, edit, censor, or take responsibility for any information its users, customers or subscribers may create. When users place information on the Internet, they have the same liability as other authors for copyright infringement, defamation, and other harmful speech. Also, because the information they create is carried over the Company’s network and may reach a large number of people, including both customers and subscribers and non-subscribers of the Company, customers’ and subscribers' postings to the Internet may affect other customers and subscribers and may harm the Company's goodwill, business reputation, and operations. For these reasons, customers and subscribers violate the Company policy and the service agreement when they, their customers, affiliates, or subsidiaries engage in activities described herein.
- Scope. This AUP governs the usage of the Company's products and services (the "Services"). This AUP is incorporated by reference into each contract the Company enters into with a customer (each, a "Customer") for the use of such Services. the Company may modify this AUP at any time without notice. In addition, this AUP is incorporated by reference into the Terms of Service applicable to the Company's Web site so that no person who utilizes the Company's Web site (regardless of whether that person is a Customer) may take any action utilizing the Company's Web site that a Customer would be prohibited to take utilizing the Services.
- Purpose. The purpose of this AUP is to enhance the quality of the Services and to protect the Company's customers, and the Internet community as a whole, from illegal, irresponsible, or disruptive Internet activities. This AUP applies to each Customer and its employees, agents, contractors or other users of such Customer who obtain Services from the Company (each such person being a "User"). Each User should use common sense and good judgment in connection with the Services. Parents or guardians should always supervise minors in using the Internet. Parents and guardians should remain aware at all times of what is on the Internet and how the minors under their care are using the Services and the Internet.
- Prohibited Uses. Customers and Users may not:
- Utilize the Services to send unsolicited bulk and/or commercial messages over the Internet (known as “spam” or "spamming"). It is not only harmful because of its negative impact on consumer attitudes toward the Company, but also because it can overload the Company's network and disrupt service to its Customers subscribers. Maintaining an open SMTP relay is prohibited. Any direct action, configuration, or setting that causes excessive outbound email traffic is subject to review and possible action. When a complaint is received, the Company has the absolute and sole discretion to determine from all of the evidence whether the email recipients were from an "opt-in" email list, or whether the outbound email traffic generated from an account is suitable for a shared hosting environment.
- Utilize the Services in connection with any illegal activity. Without limiting the general application of this rule, Customers and Users may not:
- Utilize the Services to copy material from third parties (including text, graphics, music, videos or other copyrightable material) without proper authorization;
- Utilize the Services to misappropriate or infringe the patents, copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property rights of any third party;
- Utilize the Services to traffic in illegal drugs, illegal gambling, obscene materials or other any products or services that are prohibited under applicable law;
- Utilize the Services to export encryption software to points outside the United States in violation of applicable export control laws;
- Utilize the Services to Forge or misrepresent message headers, whether in whole or in part, to mask the originator of the message; or
- Utilize the Services in any manner that violates applicable law.
- Utilize the Services in connection with any tortious or actionable activity. Without limiting the general application of this rule, Customers and Users may not:
- Utilize the Services to publish or disseminate information that (A) constitutes slander, libel or defamation, (B) publicizes the personal information or likeness of a person without that person’s consent or (C) otherwise violates the privacy rights of any person. Utilize the Services to threaten persons with bodily harm, to make harassing or abusive statements or messages, or to solicit the performance of acts or services that are illegal under applicable law.
- Utilize the Services in connection with any other disruptive or abusive activity. Without limiting the general application of this rule, Customers and Users may not:
- Utilize the Services to cause denial of service attacks against the Company or other network hosts or Internet users or to otherwise degrade or impair the operation of the Company’s servers and facilities or the servers and facilities of other network hosts or Internet users; or
- Post messages or software programs that consume excessive CPU time, or storage space, or network bandwidth; or
- Utilize the Services to offer mail services, mail forwarding capabilities, POP accounts or autoresponders other than for the User’s own account; or
- Utilize the Services to resell access to CGI scripts installed on the Company’s servers; or
- Utilize the Services to subvert, or assist others in subverting, the security or integrity of any the Company systems, facilities or equipment; or
- Utilize the Services to gain unauthorized access to the computer networks of the Company or any other person; or
- Utilize the Services to provide passwords or access codes to persons not authorized to receive such materials by the operator of the system requiring the password or access code; or
- Utilize the Services to (A) forge the signature or other identifying mark or code of any other person, (B) impersonate or assume the identity or any other person, or (C) engage in any other activity (including "spoofing") to attempt to deceive or mislead other persons regarding the true identity of the User (excluding the use of anonymous re-mailers or Internet nicknames); or
- Utilize the Services to distribute or post any virus, worm, Trojan horse, or computer code intended to disrupt services, destroy data, destroy or damage equipment, or disrupt the operation of the Services; or
- Utilize the Services to conduct port scans or other invasive procedures against any server (except any server for which the User is an authorized system administrator); or
- Utilize the Services to distribute, advertise or promote software or services that have the primary purpose of encouraging or facilitating unsolicited commercial e-mail or Spam; or
- Utilize the Services to solicit or collect, or distribute, advertise or promote, e-mail address lists for the purpose of encouraging or facilitating unsolicited commercial e-mail or Spam; or
- Utilize the Services in any manner that might subject the Company to unfavorable regulatory action, subject the Company to any liability for any reason, or adversely affect the Company’s public image, reputation or goodwill, including, without limitation, sending or distributing sexually explicit, hateful, vulgar, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable materials as determined by the Company in its sole discretion; or
- While on a shared hosting platform, utilize, operate, enable, execute, compile, upload or publicly store source code, executable code, programs, or software packages designed to perform tasks not directly associated with website/email hosting, including, without limitation, (A) directly opening any listening port, (B) starting any ‘daemon’ process, (C) performing local/remote security scans, (D) simulating local shell/OS access by means of a tunneled/encapsulated connection to a remote host, (E) circumventing firewall restrictions, (F) connecting to any IRC/Peer to Peer file sharing server/network, (G) providing ‘tracker’ services to ‘BitTorrent’ clients and/or (H) exploiting web browser vulnerabilities, as determined by the Company in its sole discretion; or
- Attempt to attack, disrupt, or abuse the support- and contact-related mechanisms of the Company, including, but not limited to, telephone lines, email addresses, fax lines, bulletin boards or contact/signup forms; or
- Utilize the Services in any other manner to interrupt or interfere with the Internet usage of other persons;
- Disclaimer. the Company expressly disclaims any obligation to monitor its Customers and other Users with respect to violations of this AUP. the Company has no liability or responsibility for the actions of any of its Customers or other Users or any content any User may post on any Web site.
- Reporting Non-Copyright Violations. the Company encourages Users to report violations of this policy by e-mail to: [email protected], including in any such report the name of the offending domain (for example, xyz.com) and the type of abuse (for example, Spam, illegal acts, harassment, etc.) in the "subject" field of the e-mail.
- Reporting Copyright Violations. the Company complies with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"). the Company encourages Users to report an alleged copyright infringement involving a user by sending a notice that complies with the DMCA which information is located under the Legal section of this website to [email protected]
- Remedies. If the Company learns of a violation of this AUP, the Company will respond to the applicable Customer and may, in the Company’s sole discretion, take any of the following actions, in accordance with the severity and duration of the violation:
- Warning the Customer; and/or
- Suspending the offending Customer from the Services; and/or
- Terminating the offending Customer from the Services; and/or
- Imposing fees or charges on the offending Customer account in accordance with the applicable service contract; and/or
- Removing the offending content; and/or
- Taking other action in accordance with this AUP, the applicable service contract or applicable law.
- Reservation of Rights. the Company reserves the right to cooperate with appropriate legal authorities in investigations of claims of illegal activity involving the Company’s Services, Customers and other Users. the Company reserves all other rights to respond to violations of this AUP to the extent of applicable law and in accordance with any applicable contractual obligations. the Company may utilize technical means to monitor communications into, and out of, its network facilities to prevent the introduction of viruses or other hostile code, to prevent intrusions and otherwise to enforce this AUP and each Customer agrees that the Company is authorized to monitor its communications through the Company's network for such purposes.